Ty Marshall has to be one of the funniest and most engaging author that I've ever virtually met. Not only does he have an outstanding personality, he writes outstanding books. He stopped by Heartbreakers Haven to give us an exclusive interview. Keep scrolling to see what he had to say.
1. How has your environment, upbringing, where you live, influenced your writing?
Because of the environment I grew up in, I’m able to write with an authenticity that can’t be faked. My mother was a drug dealer in the Crack Era in NY during the late 80’s, early 90s. She also was a very loving mother who made sure I kept my grades on point. So, I received a duel education my whole childhood. Along with my own life experiences as a young adult in the streets. I think that bleeds into my writing and comes through in my characters. It’s street but smart.
2. What’s something you are really good at that few people know?
I can cook really well. I’m not the soul food, mac & cheese, collard greens type cook. I’m more of the honey butter & garlic baked crab legs or grilled salmon over seafood dirty rice with a lemon dill sauce with crawfish meat and shrimp in it type of cook. There is evidence of my work on my IG page.
3. Name an author you dream to collab with?
4. Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?
I’ve always had a love for writing since I was a kid. My first love was music then books came later down the line. My mother was the person that introduced me to urban fiction as a teenager. I was hooked instantly.
5. What are your top three favorite books of all time?
Dutch by Teri Woods, Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown & The Godfather by Mario Puzo
6. Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact have they had on your writing?
Mario Puzo is my favorite author. I like how he writes with layers. There is always a story within the story. I try to do that as well when I’m telling a story. Kwan, Takerra Allen, Teri Woods & June Miller are also some of my favorites as well.
7. What do you think most characterizes your writing?
Reality based fiction with a crazy unexpected plot twist.
8. How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
As I’ve grown as an author, I’ve been able to strengthen my weaknesses and add new skills to my pen. I’ve learned new ways to tell stories and draw emotions out of the reader. My book Gold Blooded was my first time writing a book with a female character as the lead. Something I look forward to doing more of. I’m always growing & evolving.
9. What inspires you?
My Family. Every day I wake up and try to be great for them. I’m big on my last name & the Legacy I leave behind. I’m trying to make sure I lay a foundation & a path that puts them in a better starting position then I had.
10. When you develop characters do you already know who they are before you begin writing or do you let them develop as you go?
Both. Sometimes these characters have a mind of their own and they develop as you write. Then there are other times when you know exactly who they are and where they are going from the first sentence.
11. Out of all the books you’ve written, do you have a favorite?
80’s baby is my favorite at the moment but it’s always changing.
12. What’s the strangest thing you have had to research for a book?
Good question. I would say researching the dark net, sex trafficking and different ways to kill people have been some of the strangest and the scariest. I be thinking the feds are going to kick down my door, like what is this guy up to.
13. What are you working on now?
I just released Love Seldom Trust Never. I’m finishing up Keys to the Kingdom 3. I got some more irons in the fire as well.
14. How do you decide what you will work on next?
Just a feeling. Sometimes the story will just come to me and flow out. Other times I’ll work on something then sit it to the side. I never try to force anything.
15. Where can readers find out more about you and your work?
They can visit my website:tymarshallbooks.com for news & updates. They can follow me on IG @the_tymarshall_era. I’m on Facebook as well. They can also join my readers group on Facebook: The PenHouse: Ty Marshall Reading Group.
Bonus: Brown or clear liquor?
Both. I don’t discriminate.
Check out his entire catalog on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2YKVJG9